I know the summer is nearly over, and officially in lots of countries it’s actually Fall/Autumn, but here in California is still pretty hot. For those of us who do not have gorgeous golden sun kissed skin and don’t like sun worshiping to get it either, this product is pretty great!
I’ve tried a few fake tanning products on the market over the years and while the results have been ok, I have run into some problems whilst using them. Such as streaking, dealing with the awful odor and how long it takes to dry on your skin before you can get dressed. Fake Bake Flawless is by far the best sunless tanner I think I’ve ever used. I purchased mine from Amazon at the reasonable price of $12.50 for a 6oz bottle. It came with latex gloves and a mitt.
In an effort to keep this review concise and to the point, here are some bullet points of important information and Fake Bake claims that might help you decide to try it out:
- Fake Bake uses three organic tanning agents – Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) boosted by DMI & Erythulose
- It works with your skin tone to produce a darker pigmentation on the skin’s surface.
- It has a built-in color guide to help with your application, this helps immensely in avoiding streaking
- Paraben Free with no artificial preservatives
- It can be used on your face
- Each application lasts a week
- Fake Bake has a moisture rich formula dramatically softening your skin
- Tropical scent
Here are my thoughts and findings after using this product for about a month:
- I’m super happy that this product is paraben-free, in fact it’s one of the reasons I was drawn to the product.
- The guide is definitely very helpful when applying the product, it really does help guide you as to where you need to apply the product and how much you’ve put on.
- I’ve used this product on my face every single time I’ve applied it and it’s fine on my skin, obviously you should consider Fake Bake’s sensitive skin options or their face option if you have sensitive skin. See ‘Tips” below for application.
- I’d say it definitely lasts around 4 days before I start to notice the fading, it doesn’t fade in patches either which is fantastic, fades like a normal tan would.
- I definitely notice my skin feeling a lot softer after I’ve applied it and as the tan is developing.
- The scent is quite delightful actually, reminds me of summers on the beach! That being said, in my experience, the scent does disappear after a while and eventually you will smell a faint “fake tan” smell as it’s developing, not half as bad as most brands I’ve tried though.
- The product dries very quickly, which is also a huge plus.
- I followed the advice that I read on various websites and applied this product at night. It says not to get your skin wet for 8 hours after applying so I felt the best time to apply was at night. Sadly the color guide does transfer onto white sheets somewhat, so I would advise that you put a towel down and use and old pillowcase.
- I apply the tan to my face after my body and try to avoid the upper lip area or just apply gently as it has had me walking around with a tan mustache on a couple of occasions!! Thank goodness for concealer!!!!
- I know this is probably a no brainer but always shave and exfoliate before applying the tanner.
- Once you’re applied tan to your whole body and face, remove the gloves and run the mitt with whatever’s left on it, over the backs of your hands, making sure your wrists are covered too.
- In the morning, jump in the shower and wash off the guide and you’ll be left with a lovely golden glow that looks really natural.
To conclude: I love this self tanner and would highly recommend this product, I already have a back up for when mine runs out!